English Language Learners (ELL): English
ELL English: Grades 9-12
(Additional EL Support classes: EL Algebra and Personal Development and Career Planning)
About ELL English
The ELL English and support classes at Key West High School are made up of students from all over the world. As a matter of fact, Florida is ranked 3rd in ELL population across the United States, and although Spanish is the major native language of these students, the ELL's speak more than 300 different languages. Most ELL students at KWHS speak Spanish and Creole, but other languages spoken include Uzbek, Russian, and French, as well as many others. KWHS's ELL students make up approximately 10% of the overall student population.
The ELL English classes at KWHS provide support to students while they are acquiring the basic, intermediate, and advanced academic English needed to successfully graduate high school and to be productive citizens of the United States and the world. The purpose of this course is to enable students who are native speakers of languages other than English to develop proficient listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills in the English language. Emphasis is on acquisition of integrated English communication skills in a wide range of content and activities using texts of high complexity to ensure college and career preparation and readiness.
ELL ENGLISH I-IV:
These classes offer English Language Learners a series of courses to help increase English language proficiency. The goal is to work toward meeting state learning standards while providing support to achieve social and academic language proficiency. Students are referred to and placed in this program based upon the district Home Language Survey, classroom performance, and/or assessment by the ELL team.
1. Beginner/Tier A: In this course, students will develop basic listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills. Students will develop grammar, punctuation and spelling skills in order to write proper sentences, while developing social and academic vocabulary to support basic reading skills. Pre-requisite: LAS Links Language Test and/or ACCESS Language Test
2. Intermediate/Tier B: In this course, students with some English fluency will continue to develop listening, speaking, reading and writing skills for the academic setting. Students will increase academic vocabulary fluency and reading comprehension skills as needed for state testing situations. Students will use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling to write proper sentences and structured paragraphs. Pre-requisite: LAS Links Language Test and/or ACCESS Language Test.
3. Advanced/Tier C: In this course, students with advanced English fluency will continue to develop listening, speaking, reading and writing skills for the academic setting. Students will increase academic vocabulary fluency and reading comprehension skills. Students will use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling to write structured paragraphs within multi-paragraph essays. Pre-requisite: LAS Links Language Test and/or ACCESS Language Test.
The course content includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- active reading of varied texts for what they say explicitly, as well as the logical inferences that can be drawn
- analysis of literature and informational texts from varied literary periods to examine:
- text craft and structure
- elements of literature
- arguments and claims supported by textual evidence
- power and impact of language
- influence of history, culture, and setting on language
- personal critical and aesthetic response
- writing for varied purposes
- developing and supporting argumentative claims
- crafting coherent, supported informative/expository texts
- responding to literature for personal and analytical purposes
- writing narratives to develop real or imagined events
- writing to sources using text- based evidence and reasoning
- effective listening, speaking, and viewing strategies with emphasis on the use of evidence to support or refute a claim in multimedia presentations, class discussions, and extended text discussions
- collaboration amongst peers
Welcome To Key West High School Videos:
KWHS Students In Action:
Instructors: Nancy Curry and Gary Curry
Parent Educator: Ileana Garcia